How to ditch your dead end job – Is your job less than fulfilling yet you do nothing about it? Here’s a way out…
How to ditch your dead-end job
My sister-in-law recently told me that she doesn’t love her new job but she’s happy about the perks it provides for her and the family. She gets a good amount of holiday, has medical, gets free day care and the working hours are suited to family life. Further, my brother works a few offices down from her so if they want to grab lunch together they can. What she didn’t say was more powerful than what she said. If I asked her, do you want to know how to ditch your dead end job, I’m sure she would have said, ‘yes’.
As I listened to her description of the new job I had to stop myself from asking why she was settling for something less than fulfilling. My sister-in-law has always wanted to create some sort of business. She’s had plenty of ideas and many opportunities yet when asked why she doesn’t proceed, her answer is ‘fear of failure.’
I actually think that people stay in unsuitable (or unfulfilling) jobs for a greater reason than ‘fear of failure’. This is just an excuse.
Another friend has wanted a new job for over a year, yet until recently she didn’t take one step towards finding something else. She didn’t call an employment agency, she didn’t look on job boards…all she did was wish that she didn’t have to work for her current employer any more. When asking her why she didn’t take action, her answer was, ‘I’ll never find another job that will really have what I want so I mind as well stay where I am.”
People settle for less than fulfilling jobs, partners, home life and on and on. Why? Why do people settle?
I’ll tell you why…because they don’t realise that they are responsible for their overall fulfilment in life. They don’t understand that they have the power to think bigger – to think about what they truly want and then have it. Every decision you have ever made has taken you to where you are right now. If you can start to think bigger and be open to having a more fulfilling life, your decisions will start to change. With different decisions you’ll get a different life!
Our past conditioning and upbringing has caused many of us to settle for mediocre jobs, poor relationships and dull lives. Wake up people! Wake up! You don’t have to settle… The life you want is now out there, it’s inside – you’re creating it!
I hear you saying, ‘Okay Kim…I hear what you’re saying and yes, I know I’m settling for less, but how can I stop settling?’
I’m happy you asked.
There are hundreds of ways to stop settling, but here’s one way that has helped me and many of my friends to increase their overall fulfilment in life.
Steps to ditch your dead end job (or anything in your life):
1. Pick an area where you’re not fulfilled in your life (for example, your job or employment situation – this will work for self employed too!)
2. Write down everything you hate about it on a piece of paper.
3. Write down the opposite of everything you wrote in number 2 on a separate piece of paper and add anything else you might want. For example, “I hate how boring my work is.” “I hate the hours.” “I hate my boss” and then on another piece of paper you would write: “I love how passionate I feel about my job” “I love the hours I work – they’re flexible so I can spend more time with my kids” “I love my boss”
4. Remind yourself that you’re worth more – you’re worth whatever you believe your worth, so believe your worth everything! You’re worth having the best in life. It’s your right to be happy. (This is the biggest issue you have to sort out. This is where you’re real problem is. To sort this out hypnosis works very well – download a hypnosis MP3 on confidence, self esteem, success or similar. There are thousands of these audio tracks on the Internet – find one, download it and listen to it every day)
5. Look at the list you created in number 3 often and let your mind imagine what it feels like to have your fulfilling job. Feel as if you have everything in step 3 already.
6. Repeat 4 and 5 while taking any actions that seem to pop into your head. Don’t force anything…just focus on what you want (every day or as often as you can think of it) and your mind will start to come up with ideas. Further, people or situations will start to arise that will help you get closer to a more fulfilling job. Don’t think the solution is out there – the solution in inside you…if you can get your mind/body to feel what you want to feel you’ll start moving in the direction that will take you there. Like a magnet, you’re pointing it at what you want to attract and turning up the magnetic force by getting your mind/body to magnetize it in.
There is no magic to any of this. You get what you focus on. End of story! Up until now you’re issue is that you focus on settling…well, it’s time to change your focus.
Big smiles. x
Kim Brown helps people to find their life’s purpose and exponentially increase their fulfillment. To get started read Kim’s book, ‘How Life Really Works: The Answer to Finding your Purpose & Personal Fulfillment’